Monday 5 May 2008

Emptiness at the Crossroads

I have reached a very important point in my life. A point I think we all reach at one point or another, I hope. It is a crossroad that will dictate the path of my life. 

I am becoming aware of things, things such as racism, poverty, gaps. Not to say that I was not aware of their existence before, but I think there is a difference between watching a documentary, attending a lecture, or writing an essay and feeling it and seeing it. I feel like I must pursue this further, knowing how many roadblocks there are on the way because it goes against everything our society tells us. 

I am at this point, this point where I am deciding about what to do with my life, what path to take. And i am faced with this and I am trying to study my options. Well here they are:

1) Pursue what I feel in my soul is my purpose. Follow the injustice, knowing if I ignore it I will be a hypocrite. Go against what is asked of me, what is required, what OTHERS think is required of me, and do what I think is required of myself, what will give me a peace, even though the path leads into the darkness, and I dont know what I face. I disagree with a lot of things in the world, picking one, and working on it. And making that my goal, not life, not happiness, but actually making that STRUGGLE my goal, not marriage, not children, not money. It is a hard decision to make since everything is geared towards us ignoring these feelings. It makes me think about our society, our society that ENCOURAGES us to ignore, in order to get by, to look out for number 1. It hides this is an illusion of fulfillment, where it sets the goals of life for us, goals that seem meaningless and empty to me, get a well-paying profession, get a family, raise em right, and thats seems to be it. Help as many as you can, but devote most of your time and effort to your worldy fulfillments, remember the crap in the world, but forget about it at the same time so it doenst depress you to nothing. Live for YOUR kids, live for YOUR family first. 
Why is it like this, is this a new hidden message with the new generation or has everyone faced these choices? 

2. The second option, incase you havent already guessed, is to ignore it. See the injustice, but convince myself that I am dealing with it in other ways. Pursue what is expected of me, because I know once I devote myself to it, it will get done, doing it before making the choice implies a lack of devotion and unsureness. So whatever choice I make I must be sure. I must devote myself to it. Set small goals, small goals, get a degree, get a job, get a wife, get kids, enjoy it, live it, get sucked into it, deal with the hypocrasy and the suppression I feel by immersing myself in my family and my job, as rewarding as it is. Everything in pop culture, everything it seems we are taught and the messages of society from east to west, as a person who is lucky enough to have grown up in both, seems to say take this option. All our movies, songs, books seem to point here. Why? Option 1. is scary, extremelly. It could lead to chaos, it could lead to madness, to imprisonment, it is risky. But what is life without risk. How can we live our lives without that risk, how can we expect change to come easily, how can we call it a STRUGGLE without having to struggle against everything. It might be easier if I had something to lean on that confirmed all this, but there isn't now. Just my jumble of thoughts at this crossroad, the outcome of which will decide my life. 

All I know is now I feel empty, feel meaningless and feel lost. I dont know where I am going, and I dont know what to do. Am I the only one? Do we all go through this? Did we all and I am late? What is going on? I just know this silence makes me want to scream, this emptiness makes me want to choose quickly, and convincingly. 

There isnt much more to say... just frustration and emptiness.

No comments: